Does your house have a kitchen island? Kitchen islands have become a staple in modern kitchen designs. They not only provide additional counter space for meal preparation but also serve as a gathering place for family and friends.
Kitchen storage islands take the concept to the next level by incorporating cabinets and drawers, offering ample solutions for your culinary essentials. In this article, we will explore why you need kitchen island storage.
Benefits of Kitchen Island Storage
Kitchen island storage has a multitude of benefits:
- Provides extra hidden storage, keeping the rest of the kitchen clutter-free.
- Is a convenient area for meal preparation, making it easier to access your cooking essentials.
- Takes advantage of otherwise empty space.
If you are designing an island into your kitchen, why not make it as functional as possible?
Kitchen Island Ideas: What to Include in your Kitchen Island
Kitchen islands consist of several main components designed to provide both functional and aesthetic value.
- Cabinets & Drawers: The cabinet is the foundation of the kitchen island and provides storage room. Drawers can be added to cabinet units for smaller items.
- Countertop: The countertop is an essential part of the kitchen island and serves as the primary workspace for food preparation. It can be made of materials such as granite, quartz, marble, or wood. Butcher block islands are an increasingly popular countertop material. There are countertops that can complement a variety of styles.
- Sink: It is a popular choice to add a sink to kitchen islands. This keeps the sink in a central area and allows for easy clean up.
- Cooktop: Kitchen islands can also be equipped with cooktops. This is a convenient addition for preparing simple meals. It’s also convenient for keeping food warm while serving.
- Overhang: Many kitchen islands feature an overhang on one side of the countertop, creating a space for seating (usually stools but sometimes chairs). This allows for casual dining or entertaining guests while providing a convenient and sociable area within the kitchen.
- Decorative Shelves: Some kitchen islands have open shelves integrated into the design. These shelves can be used to display decorative items, cookbooks, or frequently used kitchen tools.
Remember that the design and features of a kitchen island can vary depending on personal preferences, available space, and price you are willing to pay.
Island Cabinet and Drawer Types
There are various types of island cabinets to choose from, depending on your needs and preferences. Cabinets are perfect for storing larger items such as pots, pans, and small appliances, while drawers are ideal for utensils, cutlery, and other smaller items. You can combine both to accommodate a wide range of kitchen essentials. You can explore Decor cabinet products here.
Base cabinets are the most common type and provide ample room for larger items. They are the standard lower cabinet in kitchens. They typically have shelves for easy organization and can be customized with pull-out trays or cooking sheet dividers. Keep larger appliances out of sight or store your pots and pans in these large areas.
- Utility Base Cabinets: Utility base cabinets include pull-out options for a spice rack, knife organizer, or towel bar.
- Base Trash Bin Cabinets: These cabinets have pull outs for trash bins. These usually have two compartments: for recycling and garbage.
Base Cabinets with Drawers
Base cabinets can also be outfitted with one or more drawers. These can be used for smaller kitchen items like
- Cutlery and Utensil Drawers: Are added to base cabinets in virtually any arrangement. These can be used for larger utensils, small kitchen gadgets, and linens. Cutlery drawers are designed to hold your knives, forks, and spoons. Built in cutlery dividers keep things tidy and easy to find.
- Deep Drawers: Are versatile and can accommodate a wide range of items such as pots, pans, and mixing bowls. They can be pulled out, which makes reaching items all the way back in the cabinet a breeze. Many people prefer the deep pull out drawer for this reason.
Kitchen Island Ideas: Tips for Organizing Your Storage Island
Organizing your kitchen island is key to maximizing it’s functionality. Kitchen islands can be a great opportunity to keep things within arms reach, but can also feel like a roadblock if not organized properly. Here are some tips for organizing your island:
- Decide what the main use of your island will be. Multifunctional islands are increasingly popular but choosing a primary function can help with organization. Will your island be a main cooking surface or a dining area? Does your island include a cooktop or sink? Do you use your island for seating only? This will determine what items you need to keep nearby.
- Categorize your items by function. Once you have decided what you are primarily using your island for, you can sort items according to it’s purpose. If you use your island as a table, then it makes sense to keep napkins, cutlery, and serving utensils nearby. If your island includes a sink, you may want your dishwashing supplies and some food prep items within reach.
- Utilize dividers and inserts. Invest in dividers and inserts to keep your items neatly organized. You can have them built into island cabinets and drawers or purchase them from a store. This will prevent items from shifting or getting damaged and make it easier to find what you need.
- Maximize all organization space. Make the most of your kitchen island cabinets. Take advantage of all available space. Install hooks on the inside of cabinet doors to hang measuring cups, pot holders, or lightweight cutting boards. Add shelf organizers to make use of vertical space in larger cabinets.
- Regularly declutter. Take the time to declutter your kitchen island cabinets and drawers on a regular basis. Get rid of any items that you no longer use. This will help maintain an organized and efficient kitchen.
Multifunctional islands are a hub of the home. If your kitchen island is used for homework, crafting, or other non-traditional purpose, don’t be afraid to organize it according to what works for you!
Ready to Purchase a Kitchen Island with Storage Space?
A kitchen island is a valuable addition to any kitchen. It not only provides extra organization but also enhances the functionality of your kitchen. By incorporating cabinets and drawers into your kitchen island, you can keep your culinary essentials within easy reach, maintain a clutter-free workspace, and create a visually appealing kitchen.
Decor offers a variety of kitchen island cabinets, allowing you to customize your kitchen island to suit your specific needs. Visit a Decor Cabinets dealer today for your perfect kitchen island.