Left over turkey? Try this recipe!!
What you’ll need:
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 (35 oz) cans stewed tomatoes, crushed
- 2 (15 oz) cans kidney beans, drained
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3/4 cup chicken or turkey stock
- 2 – 4 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 to 4 cups of shredded, cooked turkey meat
- Shredded cheese and sour cream for optional garnish
- In a large, 8-quart, thick-bottom pot, cook the onion and green pepper over medium high heat, stirring until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, for a minute or two more. Add a bit more olive oil if needed.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, stock beans, oregano, salt, pepper, and cooked turkey meat. Bring mixture to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, for an hour.
- Salt to taste. Add 1 to 3 teaspoons of sugar to take the edge of the acidity of the tomatoes if desired.