That’s a good question. In today’s high stress, fast paced world, and trying to keep up with all of life’s demands, we may feel like we are going crazy. Your mental health is just as important to your overall health and well-being as your physical health. Be aware of your mental health because it impacts how you cope with everyday normal stresses of life, how you work or study, your productivity and whether you are able to contribute to your family and community.
Maintaining your mental health is like staying physically fit, it requires an effort on a daily basis. Here are a few tips that you can use to stay mentally healthy:
- Learn how to cope with negative thoughts, they can be insistent and loud, don’t let them take over.
- “Collect” positive emotional moments: Make a point of thinking about the times when you’ve felt pleasure, comfort, tenderness, confidence or other positive emotions.
- Enjoy hobbies: A hobby helps bring balance to your life. You’re doing something because you want to, not because you have to. There’s no pressure.
- Treat yourself well: It could be a good meal, a bubble bath, a movie, or just sitting in the park enjoying nature. Small daily treats have a cumulative effect.
- Live a healthier, more active life: Eat healthy foods, be active and get enough sleep. Regular physical activity is good for the mind. It can even reduce depression and anxiety. Share your activity with others; social connections are beneficial too.
It’s also a good to build a support system to maintain positive mental health. Supportive relationships at work are important. When you reach out to co-workers, listen to their concerns, share a laugh, you’ll find it reduces stress and brings more satisfaction to your professional and personal life. Connect with your neighbors and join community groups, clubs and organizations. This will help you to feel connected and have a sense of purpose.
When we care for others and others care for us, we feel valued. Relationships can be the most rewarding aspects of our lives but also take work. Make sure to maintain your friendships by making a point to connect with friends on a regular basis.